Role: Director, Strategy and Synthesis (Full-time, Permanent)
Reports to: President
Posting date: Jan 05, 2023
Closing date: Open until role is filled
A minority woman-owned certified diverse supplier, Spindle is a boutique strategy consulting firm focused on Canada’s knowledge ecosystem. We work at the intersection of academia, government, the non-profit and private sectors to help channel research and innovation toward societal impact. Our clients are Canadian universities, research institutes, hospitals, start-ups, government agencies and non-profit organizations. Spindle’s core service areas are:
- Strategic Planning
- Business Planning
- Impact Evaluation
- Educational Campaigns
Spindle offers an exciting and engaging workplace, with the opportunity to collaborate with Canada’s top researchers, academic administrators, industry executives and public-sector leaders to shape the growth, impact and strategic positioning of the country’s most prominent knowledge assets in ways that benefit all members of society. Our work has been focused primarily in the health, wellbeing and biological sciences sectors and we are expanding into other domains including other STEM disciplines, the social sciences and humanities.
Spindle is a whole-hearted, bold and rigorous work environment built on a commitment to compassion, courage and continuous learning. Our company was established and is continually evolving based on an intentional anti-oppressive framework that values transparency, authenticity, sincerity, meaningful collaboration and shared success among our community members and with our clients.
About the Role
Reporting to the President, the Director, Strategy and Synthesis is a senior leader who will play a critical role in delivering outstanding services and high-quality deliverables to Spindle’s clients. The core responsibilities for this position are:
- Lead the strategic design and guide the execution of large-scale information gathering including: benchmarking, competitive scans and market research, environmental, jurisdictional and policy scans etc.
- Lead stakeholder engagement activities including the design of surveys, expert consultations, as well as workshops and focus groups with key informants
- Lead sense-making efforts including organizing, analyzing, deriving seminal insights from, and synthesizing large volumes of multi-modal qualitative and quantitative information
- Lead the development of client deliverables including content creation for strategic plans, business cases, white papers, performance measurement tools, evaluation reports etc.
- Lead the development of project proposals for prospective clients in collaboration with Spindle’s President
- In collaboration with Spindle’s President, serve as the primary contact for executive sponsors of Spindle’s engagements, providing a warm, credible and evidence-driven client interface
- Manage staff members including interns and analysts to ensure their professional development and growth as well as their ability to contribute meaningfully to project goals
- A Master’s or PhD degree in a health or policy field
- 10+ years of experience guiding large-scale studies and systematic investigations in a non-academic setting
- 10+ years of experience with generation of reports for non-academic professional audiences, for example findings and recommendation reports, position papers and white papers, business cases and policy briefs
- 10+ years of experience leading and managing large-scale and complex strategic initiatives involving multiple stakeholders from different sectors
- You have an exceptional ability to, and are driven by successfully communicating complex ideas in written, presentation and verbal formats
- You have a demonstrated ability for strategic and system thinking with the understanding of how to implement
- You have great attention to detail, care deeply about the quality of your work and have an eye for continuous improvement with the ability and drive to iteratively review and enhance products
- You are passionate about learning and can pick up the core principles of a new topic you are not familiar with quickly and with enthusiasm
- You are an authentic and mature leader with a genuine, comfortable and confident disposition
- You are a compassionate and caring individual and are driven by human relationships and meaningful connection
- You have an outgoing, enthusiastic and positive outlook
- You have excellent judgment and self-awareness
- You demonstrate flexibility and fluidity in the face of ambiguity and uncertainty
Place of Work
We are a hybrid work environment. Our team works from Spindle’s central office, located in downtown Toronto (typically 2-3 days of the week, with COVID-19 safety protocols in place including proof of vaccination) as well as from home.
- $120,000-$150,000 per year depending on level of experience
- Life, LTD and extended family health benefits
- 3 weeks of vacation in addition to an office closure over the holidays
- Bonus eligibility of up to 10% of salary at the end of each year of employment, pending performance of employee and the company
Please forward a Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spindle thanks all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If you don’t meet all of the requirements, but believe you would be an excellent fit for the position, we encourage you to apply
Spindle is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage individuals of all identities, especially members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized to apply.
We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and provide a work environment that complies with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require any accommodations, please reach out to email@example.com.